Re: [jokosher-devel] Moving icons

On 26/09/06, Daniel Holbach <daniel holbach ubuntu com> wrote:

what happened to the setup.py patch I posted? It should take care of
this issue, by treating two different cases: one with a gtk icon theme
lookup (for being properly installed), the other one with relative
paths.

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/jokosher-devel-list/2006-August/msg00059.html

I imagine its still there. This is for fedora however. My concerns (which I expressed in reply to that original mail) were that I could not see a way in which uninstallation was catered for. I'm also a little hesitant (perhaps unecessarily) at running a setup script as root without knowing exactly what the whole thing does. Its looks fine but will need to be maintained and I dont think its the right method for installing an app as essentially its defining a new method of software installation, no?

The advantage of using package managers is that they integrate into distros (therefore distros are happier with them and can be installed by default in some cases - Jokosher will soon be installable from scratch on Fedora for example), users understand them better, bugs get ironed out quicker as we can take advantage of debugging tools... My preference is with the package management route.

Regards
Chris