[jokosher-devel] The road to 1.0

OK, as you will have all surely seen, Jokosher 0.2 is out, and we
should all be very proud! It might take a few days to settle down (I
noticed Laszlo helping some people out with a problem or two on the
IRC logs last night), but after that we need to start thinking about
what exactly goes into the big 1.0 release. My plan for this is:

The goal for 1.0 is that it's usable by a musician, rather than a
hacker who does music. So that means that you just click the icon on
the website (or pick "jokosher" in add/remove programs) and it
installs, and it works. No CVS GStreamer, no compilation, no starting
up a Terminal. This means that we can only depend on GStreamer
features that are released and in distros; we can't even have bugfixes
that come after a release, so if there are gst bugs we'll need to work
around them or cut the feature that they break. However, there's a
while before 1.0 (see below), so there will hopefully be one or maybe
two GStreamer releases before then.

Release 1.0 early-ish next year, say around March. This should
hopefully give it time to get into Ubuntu Feisty; we need to check
when the freeze is for that so that we can beat it. Feisty's the next
big distro release that we aim for, I think; there won't be a Fedora
release before that. A March release will mean a freeze in early-mid
February, which gives us less than three months to get all the
features actually written. Still, we have Laszlo The Code Machine to
kick us all in the arse and get it done :-)

We should decide on exactly what features need to go into 1.0.
Obviously bugfixes as bugs arise, but what else? I think everyone
wants to have Network Instruments and the VoIP stuff, and we get to be
fully Gnome buzzword compliant by using Telepathy as well :) We should
have a meeting about this. What does everyone think to Sunday 26th
November (this Sunday) at 2pm GMT?

sil

--
"Willow hath gat hare off rede