Re: [HIG] Mini-Guidelines content

All right, I don't feel _too_ strongly about this either way.

Let's take the below outline as a set of "suggested guidelines" and, if we need to tighten the format as we actually produce content, we can reevaluate this in, say, two or three weeks.

Any objections?  If not, let's just go ahead and start writing that content! :)

Adam

P.S. I'll be offline for most of the next couple of days, but should be back online by Wednesday.

At 5:12 PM +0100 8/19/01, colin z robertson wrote:
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 11:41:53AM -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
 >For example, on the last set of guidelines I worked on, each sub-topic
 >followed something like this format:
 >
 >Sub-topic name
 >Description of sub-topic (1 paragaph)
 >Screenshot/diagram
 >Further description of diagram if required (max. 2 paragraphs)
 >Heading "Guidelines"
 >Bulleted list of "required" guidelines
 >Bulleted list of "optional" guidelines
 >More detailed explanation of guidelines, including further tables and
 >diagrams if necessary (max. 1 page)

 This works for me.  Any objections to this basic format?

Well, I'm not sure that things actually need to be specified in this
way. Looking through other style guides, I haven't seen any that have
such a uniform structure as this.

Different subjects have different formatting requirements. The
standard menus section will inevitably be a long list of menu items
and descriptions of their behaviour, while the dialog principles
section will be a less structured set of guidelines which will require
some explanation.

Certainly we should try very hard to ensure that our work is readable,
but I'm not sure that a one-size-fits-all approach is the best way to
achieve this.

 Colin, can we work this into a docbook template?

Should be possible, if we agree to this format.

 How far is this
 from the current format?  (I haven't had a chance to look at the
 document you posted; I'll do that in the next hour or so.)

The current template is very minimal. It doesn't specify anything
other than the chapters we agreed upon. The only work that's in there
at the moment is my own, and that's just taken straight from the
dialogs and menus stuff that I'd already done.

colin

  rtnl  http://rational.cjb.net     c z robertson ndirect co uk
                                                   icq 13294163

Attachment converted: Don't Panic!:Untitled 18 (????/----) (00076C99)