Re: [HIG] Mini-Guidelines content

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 12:25:36PM -0700, Adam Elman wrote:
> At 5:51 PM +0100 8/1/01, colin z robertson wrote:
> >I'm wondering what sort of areas we're looking to cover in the GNOME
> >2.0 Mini-Guidelines document. Here's a suggested list of things to
> >include, all of it up for discussion.
> >
> >- Menus
> >   - Principles
> >   - Standard Menus
> >- Dialogs
> >   - Principles
> >   - Standard Dialogs
> >- Layout and Aesthetics
> >- Terminology
> >- Default Keybindings
> >
> >Is there anything else that needs to be included? Conversely, is there
> >anything on this list that we should actually avoid for this document?
>
> I would add a general introductory note about why usability is a good
> idea and covering some general principles.  But then again, I'm
> already working on such a note, so I'm slightly biased.  :)

Fine.

> Glancing through a couple of the existing style guides...
>
> I think a brief discussion of "behavior" (mouse behavior, app
> feedback, keyboard focus, and similar items) is important and should
> be considered as well; I'm not sure how much is appropriate for the
> mini-guidelines, but we should add it to the list.

If we have time to fit it in then I wouldn't have any objections. It
looks like it could easily get quite big though. Should we perhaps
have a list of essential and optional topics for the mini-guidelines?

> It would probably be a good idea to have at least a very brief note
> on controls: when to use a radio button, when to use checkboxes,
> pop-up menus, that sort of thing.

Again, if we can fit it in, we should.

> >Also we need to know what sort of timescale we're looking at. Does
> >anyone have an up-to-date schedule for GNOME 2.0 development, and can
> >anyone translate that into a deadline for our work? The only schedule
> >that I know of is
> >http://lists.gnome.org/archives/gnome-2-0-list/2001-May/msg00019.html
>
> AFAIK from a couple of the hackers, release is still planned for late
> this year/early next.  I would think that it'd be very good for us to
> have at least a draft for comment by mid-October (i.e. 10 weeks
> away).  Is that too fast?

It sounds like a reasonable target to aim for.

colin