Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC registration site - design improvements

Benjamin Berg <benjamin sipsolutions net> wrote:
On Wed, 2017-02-15 at 10:55 +0000, Allan Day wrote:
> At a project level we do regularly ask ourselves about how the
> community is evolving, and this can feed into decision making. I've
> certainly heard questions asked in the past, regarding whether the
> project is changing along the lines of gender, ethnicity, age,
> occupation, and geography. Having numbers with which to answer these
> questions would be useful in my opinion.
I think the question one should be asking is whether it actually
contributes to the development of the project. It is completely normal
to be curious and it is usually interesting to learn such information.
This can be nice to motivate volunteers, but quite often such
information is not actually used to make decisions.

In my experience people often try to gather statistics without much
consideration on whether the results actually help them in forming
policy.

That's a fair point and it's something that I've witnessed myself. At the same time, in this case, it doesn't seem all that hard to imagine things we could do in response to research findings.

The main challenge would be to ensure that we collect the stats consistently over a number of years, and then do the work to analyse them.

Allan