[guadec-list] Guadec Planning Meeting Notes - 3rd March 2007

Below are my notes from the Guadec planning meeting that took place on
the 3rd March. Please feel free to comment on any of the points made. I will also be sending out the draft budget in a separate e-mail.

-Thomas

GAUDEC Planning Meeting Notes
=============================

3rd March 2007

Attendance
----------
  Bastien Nocera
  Paul Cooper
  Ross Burton
  Rob Bradford
  Thomas Wood

Finances
--------
    * Paul has spoken to an accountant in Birmingham and he has advised
      we set up a limited company to deal with the funds.
    * The main reasons for the limited company were:
          o Limited liability for those people involved
          o Clearer tax rules
          o No income tax to deal with
          o Offers a more transparent way of doing things with well
            known rules and procedures
          o Public records, and many accountants offer an audit service.
    * The disadvantages were than we would need to charge and pay VAT
      if the turnover was more than 61k, which is likely.
    * Paul pointed out that it was unlikely the accountant would have
      suggested any other option, but it is still a good option since it
      provides a well known framework.
    * Setting up the limited company will cost about £200
    * The accounting will likely cost 12-14k
    * An audit would cost around £370-400
    * The accountant would also  be able to deal with vat returns.
    * The reporting period is February to February.
    * We were advised to submit accounts every month, rather than hold
      them until the end of the year.
    * We will have to charge VAT to sponsors and attendies, because we
      are providing a service to both within the UK. This is regardless
      of what form of organisation we are. It was agreed that VAT would
      be included in the current sponsorship prices.
    * There is the possibility of gaining vat exemption, but it is not
      a certainty.
    * Two people are required to set up the limited company, and Paul
      and Bastien volunteered. They will meet in Birmingham in the next
      two weeks to organise signatures and a bank account.
    * We were advised to invoice only in Stirling, so as to simplify the
      records for tax reasons in the case of fluctuations in exchange
      rates.
    * We need to ask the accountant about payment systems, and find out
      what various banks charge as fees for swift transfers etc.

Budget

    * We looked at the final draft of last year's budget and used it as
      the basis for this years budget
    * We decided not to budget for accommodation or catering, except
      for lunches (core days only).
    * Preliminary suggestion for registration prices was £80 for
      corporate registrations, £40 for normal registration, and £20 for
      concessions.

Call For Papers & Scheduling
----------------------------

Papers

    * 11 papers have been submitted so far, and the quality is very
      high.
    * 36 papers in total will be needed.
    * A last minute rush is expected.

Scheduling

    * We would like to have a day of workshops and tutorials
    * Possibility of a "GNOME Love Day" to include team meetings on:
          o Bugsquad
          o UI Design
          o Accessibility
          o Translations
          o New contributors (GNOME Love project)
    * We will need to ask people to run the tutorials and workshops
    * Possibility of producing printed developer material since both
GNOME developer books are now out of print. Perhaps look into printing
      the recently completed architecture overview.

Keynotes

    * Progress has stalled somewhat
    * No further responses since last meeting
    * Need to ask board for help

Materials
---------

Preliminary costs

    * Bags - £6.65 ( for runs of more than 250)
          o Will be getting a samples to test
          o Do we even need a bag? It was decided that if possible we
          may not want to include a bag as part of the attendee items.
    * Polo shirts - £10
    * T-shits:
          o £4.23 - one colour print
          o £5 - 4 colour print
    * Will only be giving one t-shirt away free this year (the Guadec
      t-shirt with sponsor logos)
    * Possibility to sell other GNOME t-shirts
    * Further ideas were discussed, and we will get quotes for:
          o Stickers - sheet of different stickers would be nice
          o Badges - approximately 20p each
          o Lanyards - about £1 each)
          o Badge holders - about 30p each
    * Mugs  are £1.50 for 1 colour, and £2.40 for 4 colour
    * Custom USB drives are about £11 with a 4 colour print
    * GNOME Beer mugs?!
    * We would definitely like to include stickers, badges and usb
      sticks as attendee items.
    * A budget of no more than £20 per person was agreed.

Print

    * We will need to produce:
          o A programme
          o Attendee badges
          o Booklet/Brochures
          o Banners (for main stage, and if possible something to attach
          to railings or signs for outside).

Community
---------
    * Various things we could get members of the community involved in:
          o Website - could still do with some help to clean up various
            parts of the website
          o Graphic Design (badges, t-shirts, programme, badges, etc)
          o Promotion (putting up posters in universities, talking to
            local lugs)

    * We will need more volunteers for the events as stewards and other
      helpers.