Re: [guadec-list] Printed Program - available & help-needed content

On Fri, 2006-05-12 at 19:09 +0330, Sara Khalatbari wrote:

> On 5/12/06, Quim Gil <qgil desdeamericaconamor org> wrote:
>         As suggested in my previous email, the foreword of the
>         conference coordinator can include the novelties.
>
> Yes, that's a logical foreword to have.
>

>         The history of GUADEC can go on an article at the end of the
>         program. If it's too short then maybe is better to have
>         nothing, IMO. I mean, 1 page with 1 picture would be
>         nice.
>
> I also agree that we shoudl omit GUADEC history & just out Quim's
> foreword with good pictures.

Multiple forewords usually feel like a bunch of people all wanted
their moment of glory in the program.  A single foreword from Quim
should be perfectly sufficient.

It would be good to have maybe three sentences or so in the foreword
about how GUADEC started, and about how much it's grown since then
(number of attendees, number and quality of talks, etc.)  Possibly
also mention how GUADEC has a history of "pollinating" the local
region with GNOME enthusiasm.

But the foreword shouldn't belabor history too much.  We only need
history insofar as it helps the reader get excited about this year's
GUADEC.  Mostly, you want to talk up the event and make sure people
are excited to be there.  We don't want apathetic attendees sitting
in the cafe and smoking all day.  The foreword is one of the first
vehicles we have to get people really psyched to be there.

Do thank the volunteers in the foreword.

Quim, I can proofread the foreword for you, if you'd like.

--
Shaun