Re: [guadec-list] Cameras and machines for streaming

> Hi Dave,
>
> Last year we had a loaner computer from Murray, which was a bit of a
> pain for him. Also Fluendo brought a machine, but we have no extras
> right now. The others were provided by... IBM I think.

In case you haven't got the info from Quim, the GNOME Events Box should
arrive at Vilanova today.

It has one 3GHZ x86 PC (onboard Intel graphics) and 2 LCD screens, among
other things.

Please please, put the requirements and plans on a wiki page. Otherwise, I
don't see how it can be organised.

> Last year there were 4 cameras total: 2 handicams from Fluendo and 2
> nice cameras from Tim's wonderful friend whose name I forget,

Jessica Moroder, in the film business.

> who was
> being paid I am sure. Fluendo had one camera stolen last year at another
> conference, and so is a bit more reluctant these days; aside from that,
> handicams are *really* suboptimal, due to not being able to zoom in
> nicely (affects camera placement), lower quality lenses (which
> translates to a more difficult/lower-quality encoding process), and lack
> of a line-level input, giving bad sound.

Yeah, we've got to push up the quality if we can. It's a bit odd watching
the streams if you can't read the slides or recognise the speaker.

> In short last year we were sponsored for some things in money and some
> things in kind. This year the sponsorship has come more in the form of
> money.
>
>> We have a
>> possibility of having 2 Ultras in Barcelona next week, if that helps.
>
> Unfortunately the theora encoders need to run on x86
>
>> I don't think it's worthwhile streaming after-hours.
>
> There are some nice presentations scheduled, see
> http://guadec.org/GUADEC2006/schedule/AHW. That said, I don't care too
> much.

Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com