Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC budget

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, Joerg Hoh wrote:

> My experience of last guadec in Stuttgart: With about 300 people and video
> streaming you can easily saturate a 10 mbit link to the internet; wireless
> bandwith on the conference site usually isn't a problem (we had a 801.11b/g
> network and noone complained); strongly consider a wired network as
> backbone; also people like to connect themselves to this network if they
> need bandwith to exchange between their laptops or if they don't have or
> don't want to use a wifi card (yes, these people still exist).

Yes, having wired network with enough plugs available is a
very good idea.

> > There will also a computer room for people not carrying laptops.
> > By "extension chords" do you mean plugs to switch a network cable?
>
> power chords to connect to the power network.

This one is typically what determines where people can sit or sit
not, in most of conferences, as not everybody has 5 hours of
battery life, and a day is longer than 5 hours anyway.

> J�

Other than that, I don't think it's a problem in Europe (correct
me if I'm wrong), but there was this problem last year in OLS
where people have brought in a box of beers and the building
security didn't quite like that.  But then, it's Canada...  So,
would be a good idea to make sure what people can bring in and
what not.

--behdad
http://behdad.org/

	-- Dan Bern, "New American Language"