Re: [guadec-list] GUADEC budget

On Tue, Feb 14, 2006 at 05:43:15PM +0100, Quim Gil wrote:

> > * Network equipment (bandwidth?, switches, Wifi hotspots, extension
> > chords, see with college what they have)
>
> Covered by the Vilanova - Generalitat agreement. Basically the agreement
> covers 'enough wireless bandwidth available' (we haven't specified the
> bandwith we require, please give numbers to make sure we have what we
> need).

My experience of last guadec in Stuttgart: With about 300 people and video
streaming you can easily saturate a 10 mbit link to the internet; wireless
bandwith on the conference site usually isn't a problem (we had a 801.11b/g
network and noone complained); strongly consider a wired network as
backbone; also people like to connect themselves to this network if they
need bandwith to exchange between their laptops or if they don't have or
don't want to use a wifi card (yes, these people still exist).

> There will also a computer room for people not carrying laptops.
> By "extension chords" do you mean plugs to switch a network cable?

power chords to connect to the power network.

Jörg

--
Was denen einen ihr Watergate, ist den anderen ihr Firstgate.
- Thomas Bliessner, <slrnd1hklm g53 nospam melix com mx>