Re: Schedule commentary

	Hi, Jeff

Am Son, 2002-03-10 um 13.20 schrieb Jeff Waugh:
> Hi all,
>
> A bit of commentary on the proposed schedule. I've had some experience with
> conference stuff, having helped organise linux.conf.au 2001, whilst Glynn
> kept coming up with good ideas, so he pestered me into mailing this. ;-)

	great! As I told Glynn on the IRC, all suggestions are welcome. I've
been thinking hard about how fitting all the conferences together...
you'll probably see it's not an easy task, so all good ideas are really
welcome.

>   - 9am-8pm sounds too long; although there are 2 hour lunch breaks, having
>     talks all the way through is pretty tiring. Having non-talk things from
>     about 6pm worked for us. They were either dinners/drinks, or
>     get-togethers of other kinds, but not sit-in-room-listening activities.

	just think that Spain is always +2 hours (and I know Seville is even
later). We usually have dinner here past 9 o'clock, so finishing at 6 is
really, really early.

	I agree that 10am-8pm sounds pretty long. Let's see how we can make it
to be more relaxed!

>   - 10-15 minute breaks between talks let everyone chatter and wander for a
>     bit, without making everything else late. That puts pressure on the talk
>     times...

	Yeah, I see your comment. The schedule by now has one hour talks; but
within this hour, you'll have to have time for 15 minutes break and 15
minutes questions.

	  x:00 talks starts
	  x:30 questions
	  x:45 break
	x+1:00 next talk

	sorry i didn't notice that in the schedule.

>   - Keynotes are the same length as talks, which may not give enough time
>     for discussion; 1 1/2 hours would be good.

	let's see how I can get that into the schedule... is that required for
every keynote or are you thinking only about some of them?

>   - Perhaps some shorter talks of 30 minutes could bring down the schedule
>     times a bit; I'm sure some speakers would like that too. ;-)

	Really speaking all talks are 30 minutes long (+15 min questions +15
min break = 1hour). We've tried that tutorials have more time (2 hour
time slot -> really 1h30min), so that ppl can have enough time.

	Maybe it would be a good idea to join breaks, so that we have 30 min
breaks every two hours! Just like this:

	  x:00 talk starts   <----------+
	  x:30 questions                |
	  x:45 break                    |   30 minutes break!
	x+1:15 next talk starts         |
	x+1:45 questions                |
        x+2:00 -------------------------+

	i think that would be a good idea and make it all more relaxed. And
that would fit perfectly with 2h-tutorials.

>   - Would a tutorials day be better than having them interspersed
>     throughout? We found that the tutorials day was a great chance to either
>     learn in the tutorials, or take part in crazy hacking outside the
>     tutorials. Keeping them separate may help that.

	The organization wanted this year to have no users day and be as open
to anybody as possible. This is a good idea, I think, and more if we
have in mind that we'll be having GUADEC in a university.

	This decision made us have had to adapt the schedule a little.

	All the talks we've thought will have a bigger audience (developers +
users) will be in the hall (where up to 2000 ppl can stay) --> that's
the blue column in the schedule. Other conferences will be in rooms with
100-150 places (red, green and yellow columns).

	There are other circumstances that have been kept in mind when doing
the schedule that make it difficult to fit everything together:
	* there are some talks in Spanish (so we've tried to put at the same
time hacker-only issues)
	* there are conferences on the same topic which should be put together,
usually the one after the other in the same room (e.g. usability, sound,
PDAs, Python, i18n and l12n...)

>   - There's a lack of brainstorming sessions for future directions in GNOME;
>     last year these were scheduled, not random.

	Yeah, that's really a big, big "bug" in the current schedule... Glynn
told me about it yesterday... I'm still seeing where and how to make it
happen, because I also think this is really important

> GUADEC is looking very exciting though, thanks for all of your work!

	24 days more and we'll see us in Seville!

> - Jeff, with fingerpainting consultation c/o Glynn Foster

	thanx to both!

		Grex