Re: Schedule commentary

<quote who="Gregorio Robles">

> Am Son, 2002-03-10 um 13.20 schrieb Jeff Waugh:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A bit of commentary on the proposed schedule. I've had some experience with
> > conference stuff, having helped organise linux.conf.au 2001, whilst Glynn
> > kept coming up with good ideas, so he pestered me into mailing this. ;-)
>
> 	great! As I told Glynn on the IRC, all suggestions are welcome. I've
> been thinking hard about how fitting all the conferences together...
> you'll probably see it's not an easy task, so all good ideas are really
> welcome.

[ Putting together a conference is *bloody* hard, so we all owe you guys a
beer at GUADEC. I remember our most heated discussions were about
scheduling, too. It's hard to get right. :) ]

> 	just think that Spain is always +2 hours (and I know Seville is even
> later). We usually have dinner here past 9 o'clock, so finishing at 6 is
> really, really early.

Heh, okay. :)

> 	Yeah, I see your comment. The schedule by now has one hour talks; but
> within this hour, you'll have to have time for 15 minutes break and 15
> minutes questions.
>
> 	  x:00 talks starts
> 	  x:30 questions
> 	  x:45 break
> 	x+1:00 next talk
>
> 	sorry i didn't notice that in the schedule.

Yeah, that should be mentioned, because it's pretty important for speakers
to know, too.

> 	let's see how I can get that into the schedule... is that required for
> every keynote or are you thinking only about some of them?

I'd say that if a topic was important enough for a keynote, it would easily
fill 1.5 hours. [ Maybe that means some keynotes should be swapped around? ]

> 	Maybe it would be a good idea to join breaks, so that we have 30 min
> breaks every two hours! Just like this:

Sounds good.

> 	The organization wanted this year to have no users day and be as open
> to anybody as possible. This is a good idea, I think, and more if we
> have in mind that we'll be having GUADEC in a university.

Oh, yeah, but my comment was more about the style of talks than who would be
at them. It's easier to schedule tutorials against tutorials than against
other talks.

> >   - There's a lack of brainstorming sessions for future directions in GNOME;
> >     last year these were scheduled, not random.
>
> 	Yeah, that's really a big, big "bug" in the current schedule... Glynn
> told me about it yesterday... I'm still seeing where and how to make it
> happen, because I also think this is really important

Perhaps - and no offense to Michael here - this could be done in the last
day's keynote period?

> > GUADEC is looking very exciting though, thanks for all of your work!
>
> 	24 days more and we'll see us in Seville!

I hope so. :) Thanks,

- Jeff

--
   "People keep asking me why we aren't married, and he says, 'Every time
   I am about to ask you, you do something annoying'." - Kate Beckinsdale