Re: [Gtranslator-devel] bugs

On Thu, 2002-02-28 at 09:25, Peeter Vois wrote:
>     Just, in this way I did - like a real dumb user will do ;).
>
> Heh, previously one couldn't change the charset in the header dialog at
> all -- we did change that some time ago. Or should we make the user take
> less freedom just to ensure the/she doesn't get disappointed/bug'd like
> you were in the situation, erh ;-)

Everything depends how hard is to make the UTF-8 import and export to be
made automatically when such charset is chosen and written to po file. For
me it looks now like a loong weeeekend wooooork.
Sure? I did something like that yesterday in a hack'sh way and it wasn't a work of half an hour -- a crappy way to do it, but it worked; but normally I don't want to see such capabilities in a so easy to change place like in the header edit dialog.
The GtkText should be able to handle the UTF-8 characters - right?
I'm confused here right now.
No, it doesn't -- try an ancient release of gtranslator without UTF-8 conversion functions -- it will show you that it fairly couldn't handle any kind of UTF-8 by itself; maybe via some special environment changes, but this wouldn't apply to us I guess.
Looks like it does - so import should be trivial, export should be too if
imported is in UTF-8 - just take the chars and write to the file and add
the gtranslator hidden stuff. I think my problem was that the characters
were not in UTF-8 format in the GtkText.
Uhm? Like said, by itself GtkText isn't UTF-8 aware. And why should it be a problem that the characters weren#t in UTF-8?
Blaaa blaaa blaaa,

1. For this release - i do not know what to do, does the disable of the
change of charcode help? Because such bug will quarantee that the
gtranslator will be thrown away by new dumb user, I would do this if I am
not developer of gtranslator. I would think "this is not for work yet".
Ok, I will disable the editability then now; but I'm sure we did make it editable for a very good reason but I can't remember it honestly :-)

Maybe, if we do introduce a more enhanced conversion way, then we could re-enable it or simply take over something like the charset selector of GAL et al. Seems for me a good thing to do for the future. Or was it nor moved into Evolution?! Who knows.. ;-)
2. For next release - I think inside gtranslator all texts should be in
UTF-8 and saving is exporting to some codeset and loading is importing to
UTF-8 codeset. This is because UTF-8 is more general than others like
iso8859-15.
But there's the problem with GtkText again -- if you can get it to handle UTF-8 fine, no problem, but so...
--
<([ Fatih Demir / kabalak / kabalak gtranslator org ])>
<([ ICQ 64241161 / fdemir2 ix urz uni-heidelberg de ])>