Re: MSVC build problems after updating from git

On 27/11/2014 10:23, Kjell Ahlstedt wrote:

On 26/11/2014 18:59, John Emmas wrote:

So I've assumed that the first one doesn't indicate an actual build error.  Is that assumption safe?

Yes, it's a safe assumption. "error" here just means that the message was printed while processing error.hg.

Hi Kjell (and first of all, apologies for this being long-winded).  You're not going to believe this - it must surely be the world's biggest irony - but processing error.hg is somehow producing an error now!!

I mentioned yesterday how the following 3 files had increased (in their generated size) since my last build:-

        gio/giomm/resource.cc
        gio/giomm/resource.h
        gio/giomm/error.h

I can understand the first two (because resource.ccg and resource.hg have also increased in size).  But error.hg is exactly the same as it was two weeks ago.  So what's making error.h so much bigger..?  Up until a fortnight ago, line 51 of the generated 'error'h' looked like this:-

        class Error : public Glib::Error
        {
         public:
          enum Code
          {
              // a bunch of enums
          };

          // remaining generated code
        };

But since yesterday, that same code section now looks like this:-

        class Error : public Glib::Error
        {
         public:
           /**  @var Code FAILED
            *  Generic error condition for when an operation fails and no more specific IOErrorEnum value is defined.
            *
            *  @var Code NOT_FOUND
            *  File not found.
            *
            *  @var Code EXISTS
            *  File already exists.
            *
            *  @var Code IS_DIRECTORY
            *  File is a directory.
            *
            *  @var Code NOT_DIRECTORY
            *  File is not a directory.
            *
            // and a whole bunch of similar comments

            */
          enum Code
          {
              // the same enums as before
          };

          // remaining generated code
        };

Strictly speaking, these are all just extra comments - but somehow, they seem to have introduced an error condition while processing 'error.hg'.  Does that help explain anything?  How can an unchanged input file be producing different output?

John