Re: why not usring + ustring = ustring like QT?

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Mo, 2014-01-27 at 17:24 +0100, Giuseppe Penone wrote:
> Hi, I wonder why we cannot add the support for operator + like in
> QString, it is so
>
> incredible useful.

You can use the + operator with Glib::ustring just fine, just as you can
with std::string. Is there any particular problem that you are having.

I don't know why all the times I tried to use it in gtkmm had errors, also today at my job,
now trying a couple of examples at home and they work, I'm sorry I will come back with
error example when it happens again.

> One more thing, after a request I spent time to create the windows
> gtkmm binaries based on official 3.6.4 bundle and provided a link to
> my successful work but then I received no feedback, did I just waste
> my time? Well if the (only) effort to create gtkmm binaries is
> ignored, even if coming from a donkey, I don't see much future for
> gtkmm.

Sorry, I've been a little busy, but I have recently installed Windows 8
in a virtual machine, so I might get a chance to investigate this.

I had hoped that other people who used Windows more often would provide
some feedback.

You also said that you'd provide the scripts that you used to create
these binaries. Could you please do that? I hesitate to investigate much
myself if I can't reproduce the binaries after making changes.

yes the procedure is the following and the scripts are attached.
I didn't attach immediately because I wanted to improve/automate the scripts
and then I made it.

the environment is windows XP 32 bit.

1) Install MinGW and select components:
mingw32-base
mingw32-gcc-g++
msys-base

2) extract official gtk3 binary bundle (3.6.4-20130921) archive in C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\gtk3

3) create empty folder C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\gtkmm3

4) ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES: be sure that Path includes the following:
C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\gtk3\bin
and add the variable
PKG_CONFIG_PATH
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\gtk3\lib\pkgconfig;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\gtkmm3\lib\pkgconfig

5) Run C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\msys.bat this will create the home directory and open a linux-like terminal

6) the home in my case is C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\home\giu

7) Copy the matching versions of tarballs in the home:
- libsigc++-2.2.11
- glibmm-2.34.1
- atkmm-2.22.6
- cairomm-1.10.0
- pangomm-2.28.4
- gtkmm-3.6.0

8) copy the attached 7 scripts and 4 patches in the home:
00_all.sh
01_libsigc++.sh
02_glibmm.sh
03_atkmm.sh
04_cairomm.sh
05_pangomm.sh
06_gtkmm.sh
glibmm-2.34.1.patch
cairomm-1.10.0.patch
pangomm-2.28.4.patch
gtkmm-3.6.0.patch

9) create a folder named "logs" in the home if you want to have all configure, make and make install logs

10) run ./00_all.sh and wait for completion

11) in C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\gtkmm3 there are now the folders bin, include and lib
which, merged with the gtk3 bundles, makes the gtkmm3 bundle.

Murray
www.openismus.com