Re: gtkmm and C++0x

The way I understand it, when c++0x comes application developers will want to use it. If gtkmm doesn't support the new standard then there will be an odd mix of shared_ptrs and auto's for example. Is c++0x even backward compatible with 98? I'm not a gtkmm developer but it sounds like Fabien's idea below would mean writing and maintaining 2 version of gtkmm in the same file. I guess what I'm asking is how big a deal is it if gtkmm dropped c++98 support when c++0x comes out? Could we do it at gtkmm 3.0? Do the times line fit?

Fabien Parent wrote:
Hi,
It would be great to see gtkmm start using some c++0x features. I
think the best would be to keep compatibility with c++ 98 like boost
did.

We can find if the user is using c++98 or c++0x by looking if the
macro __GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__ has been defined by the gcc's
preprocessor.

For example:
#if defined(__GXX_EXPERIMENTAL_CXX0X__)
// c++0x