Re: Where is =?UTF-8?B?R2xpYjo6c3RyZnJlZXYoKT/igI8=?=

On Sat, 02 May 2009 12:34:25 -0400
Hubert Figuiere <hub figuiere net> wrote:

> > Sidenote: I use std::vector<Glib::ustring>  as container. Is that
> > correct, or should I use std::string?
>
> The question is: does it compile? If it does then you already have
> the answer.

I don't think that is his point.  There is a longstanding bug in
glibmm, which cannot be fixed without breaking API, concerning functions
which return file names.  These generally return a Glib::ustring object
or a container of Glib::ustring objects, even though the filename
codeset may not be utf-8 (that depends on the G_BROKEN_FILENAMES and
G_FILENAME_ENCODING environmental variables).

If that affects uris returned by Gtk::SelectionData::get_uris(), and I
do not know if it does or it doesn't, it will be necessary to transfer
the uris to std::string objects before calling anything other than
const methods on the strings concerned.  (It is OK just to read them.)
I think the OP's question is whether the codeset returned by
Gtk::SelectionData::get_uris() is guaranteed to be utf-8.

Chris