Re: Static linking on Windows; font problems

Bruce,

One thing you might want to do is look at some Gtk Windows application which has a full installer and already does this. I would recommend Ethereal or Gaim. Ethereal has etc/, lib/, and share/ right there in C:/Program Files/Ethereal. Interestingly, there is not etc/fonts/, but there is an /etc/pango/. I'm not sure what Gaim does as my Gaim is set up to use the system (c:/GTK) Gtk installation.

Alan.

Bruce Sherwood wrote:
Thanks. Stripping most of the dll's for my Windows application brought
the module size from 42 MB down to 18 MB (a lot worse than 4 MB, but
still...)

My next problem is with fonts. I get an error message "No fonts found"
and an invitation to edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. I tried
<dir>c:\WINDOWS\Fonts</dir> (Windows syntax) and
<dir>/c/WINDOWS/Fonts</dir> (Msys syntax) to no avail. Is there someone
on this list who has built Windows applications who can give me a clue
what the issue is? Thanks.

Bruce Sherwood

José Alburquerque wrote:

José Alburquerque wrote:

Bruce Sherwood wrote:

In fact, Robert Pearce pointed me to Dependency Walker (I had failed
to ask the right question of Google to find it myself), and it did a
great job of identifying everything. In fact, I passed it a .pyd file
and it happily analyzed it. Thanks to both of you for pointing me to
this.

There remains pending for me the fact that using gtkmm instead of
Windows-specific windowing code increases my binary from 4 MB to 40
MB. It was suggested that one can strip the dll's, but I don't know
how to do that. I installed gtkmm etc. from Windows binary downloads.

Bruce Sherwood

On Unix systems, the 'strip' command does what you're asking about,
but I'm not sure that there is a similar command on Windows.  It
should be available through MinGW though (try 'man strip' at the
command line).

-Jose

I forgot to mention, that the strip command is mainly used on
executables generated from a compile command.  Stripping libraries may
be bad for debugging later.

-Jose