Re: Static linking on Windows

Thanks. Just for grins I tried the experiment of trying -static and indeed the build failed miserably.

With shared libraries, I seem to need to add all of the dll's listed below, which increases the length of the Python module (compared to using Windows-specific code) from 4 MB to 40 MB. Not a show-stopper, but a bit annoying as a download to add to Python. The crude way I figured out what dll's I needed was to try running the program from a typescript and get told that I was missing a library, then copying that library into the module's directory (I had previously changed the name of the MinGW directory to xxxMinGW to exclude finding the dll there).

Is there a more intelligent way to identify which dll's I need?

Could some of these be loaded statically even if not all of them can?

Bruce Sherwood

---------------------------

iconv.dll
intl.dll