Re: gtkmm capabilities

Carl Nygard wrote:
You're just looking at up-front cost-of-admission.  Keep in mind that
once learned, you don't have to re-learn it.

Well no, I think I tried to make it clear that that is exactly what I'm *not* doing. If I did, I'd say 'gtkmm: $0. Qt: $3000 Winner: gtmm', but I don't. I know that gtkmm uses stl idioms and yes, that is knowledge that can be transferred, but the point in discussion was about the gui-specific knowledge.

> Keep in mind that Gtkmm
uses STL patterns and algorithms wherever possible, so there is a large
body of knowledge you don't have to relearn, unlike with Qt's myriad
special-purpose containers and such (at least last time I checked).  So
figure out how productive you'll be in the different environments, and
use that as your long term cost analysis.

I haven't used them, but Qt does seem to use STL nowadays (http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/qt-template-lib.html). But I don't want to argue 'gtkmm is better because it uses STL' or anything like that here. I'm also not even comparing gtkmm with Qt technically, because I'd need a profound understanding of both to do that, and I don't.

Don't know where you'll get that info, but you can ask around.
Some people also take one look at moc and say "Uh, no, not for me."

Yes, people like me. I don't like moc (although I've never had to actually use it - I'm just not objective I guess) and it's the main reason I prefer gtkmm over Qt.

cheers,

roel