Re: gtkmm capabilities

On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 13:56 +0100, Roel Vanhout wrote:
> Russell Shaw wrote:
> >> That's exactly what my point was: the time it takes to get up to
> >> speed, and the time you need to invest to keep up, easily costs a
> >> multiple of the 3000$ this whole discussion is about.
> > I found that once you understand how it works, you can keep up to
> > date easily just by seeing new widgets on a mailing list. The upfront
> > learning curve is *high*, but i don't care about how long it takes
> > something to learn if i know it will be useful. (most ppl object
> > to long learning curves)
> > Being hobbyists, who cares about monetary time value;)
> > Once you figure it out, it's easier to use.
>
> Indeed, that's what I said: hobby-economy is completely different from
> business-economy. In businesses, peoples time costs money, so if it
> takes 4 or 5 days longer to learn gtkmm (compared to Qt), gtkmm is more
> expensive than Qt is. If I had to tell my boss or a customer 'well, I'll
> have to learn this new thing, I'm not sure how long it will take' (to
> quote you: "i don't care about how long it takes something to learn if i
> know it will be useful"), then that's just not an acceptable answer.
> OTOH, if I'm writing code for fun, and I know that my coding will be
> more fun when I use gtkmm, then all the time that is spend to learn
> gtkmm (and everything around it) is justifiable (sp?).
> Also, what this whole thing started with: the OP saying that 3000$ is
> expensive. I just tried to put that into perspective.

You're just looking at up-front cost-of-admission.  Keep in mind that
once learned, you don't have to re-learn it.  Keep in mind that Gtkmm
uses STL patterns and algorithms wherever possible, so there is a large
body of knowledge you don't have to relearn, unlike with Qt's myriad
special-purpose containers and such (at least last time I checked).  So
figure out how productive you'll be in the different environments, and
use that as your long term cost analysis.

Don't know where you'll get that info, but you can ask around.

Some people also take one look at moc and say "Uh, no, not for me."

Regards,
Carl