Re: gtkmm capabilities

Russell Shaw wrote:
Roel Vanhout wrote:
The main problem with gtk is that there's no central point of all
the information you need to completely understand it.
GObject, GType and signals take a long time to learn, and i only
did that after reading the gtk lists for months. This probably
doesn't matter as much with gtkmm which has C++ objects.
The gtk source also has an examples directory for testing lots
of functionality, but it doesn't help a lot for someone trying
to learn the basics.
That's exactly what my point was: the time it takes to get up to speed, and the time you need to invest to keep up, easily costs a multiple of the 3000$ this whole discussion is about.
I found that once you understand how it works, you can keep up to
date easily just by seeing new widgets on a mailing list. The upfront
learning curve is *high*, but i don't care about how long it takes
something to learn if i know it will be useful. (most ppl object
to long learning curves)
Being hobbyists, who cares about monetary time value;)
Once you figure it out, it's easier to use.

Indeed, that's what I said: hobby-economy is completely different from business-economy. In businesses, peoples time costs money, so if it takes 4 or 5 days longer to learn gtkmm (compared to Qt), gtkmm is more expensive than Qt is. If I had to tell my boss or a customer 'well, I'll have to learn this new thing, I'm not sure how long it will take' (to quote you: "i don't care about how long it takes something to learn if i know it will be useful"), then that's just not an acceptable answer. OTOH, if I'm writing code for fun, and I know that my coding will be more fun when I use gtkmm, then all the time that is spend to learn gtkmm (and everything around it) is justifiable (sp?). Also, what this whole thing started with: the OP saying that 3000$ is expensive. I just tried to put that into perspective.

cheers,

roel