Re: [GtkGLExt] gtkglextmm and gtkmm-2.4

Hi Lakin,

Sorry about the late reply.

I've built gtkglextmm-1.1 on a clean machine from scratch and still
could not replicate the problems you're having. Here is as much detail
as I can summarise concisely about the machine I've used. Remember,
initially this machine has no Gtk nor GCC related programs installed
what so ever. Not even cygwin.

Platform: Windows 2000 running on AMD Duron 700 MHz, 128 MB SRAM.

1) Mingw32 GCC 3.3.1 installed along with Dev-Cpp in the folder c:/dev-cpp

2) Latest Gtk+-2.4 and GtkGLExt-1.0.5 is installed in c:/gtk as
distributed at http://gladewin32.sf.net

3) Latest Gtkmm-2.4 installed in c:/gtk as distributed by Cedric Gustin

4) Minimal Cygwin is installed in c:/cygwin. It's quite important to
only install the shell environment, autoconf, automake, libtool, perl
and other basic neccessities. In particular I did not install libiconv
and libintl development files. These are installed as part of Gtk-2.4
and we must make sure that libtool only sees that installation and not
the cygwin installation. Otherwise libtool seems to cause problems
with dumping UNIX style paths when searching for import libraries. I
also did not install cygwin version of GCC.

5) PATH was modified to start with c:/dev-cpp/bin;c:/gtk/bin; so that
the right files could be found automatically.

6) I ran configure like this

env CXX='g++ -march=pentium' MAKE=/usr/bin/make AR=/usr/bin/ar
./configure --prefix=c:/gtk --disable-static --build=i386-pc-mingw32

It's important that we use cygwin version of make.exe and ar.exe to
solve some weird path problems.

The whole thing then configured and compiled fine.

However, I ran into problems when compiling the examples. Those
examples that use Gtk::GL::DrawingArea class, did not compile due to a
linking error. It appears that this class needs to be rewritten so
that GCC can resolve its symbol at link-time through the import
library. Currently GCC doesn't like the way this class is written and
when third party program is getting linked with the DLL containing
this class, things fail complaining about 'auto-import' failure.

Anyway, I would strongly suggest that you totally clean out mingw,
cygwin, gtk, gtkmm and gtkglext. Make a clean start.

Make sure to only install cygwin with minimal packages. Take care not
to install dev files for libiconv and libintl (runtime is ok). They
seem to clash with the pure win32 versions installed as part of GTK.
Make sure to install perl and all its libraries as well as autoconf,
automake and libtool.

Also, install Mingw32 GCC, GTK-2.4 and Gtkmm-2.4 in their
corresponding places as it suits you. Add their locations to the PATH
and try running configu again.

I hope this helps somewhat. Let me know if you get anywhere with this.

Cheers.

Alif.

--
"Heaven is the peaceful place on earth...New Zealand."
     -- Alif Wahid.