Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] patch to allow use with OS X Screen Sharing

Daniel P. Berrange skrev:
On Tue, Apr 01, 2008 at 12:58:27AM -0400, Jin Choi wrote:
Using gtk-vnc-3.4 through vinagre on Ubuntu (hardy), any attempt to connect to an OS X Leopard machine with screen sharing on resulted in an immediate closed connection.

This thread gives some idea of what's going on:
http://www.realvnc.com/pipermail/vnc-list/2002-September/033513.html

It seems AppleVNCServer advertises RFB 003.889, which would indicate that it speaks RFB 3.8, but really only speaks some variant of RFB 3.3.

I applied the following patch to gvnc.c to smash the minor version to 3 when presented with a minor version of 889 (similar to what appears to be done to support for UltraVNC), and now vinagre can connect to the OS X box.

Sadly, the performance is much slower than tightvncviewer....

tightvncviewer probably explicitly asks for a reduced colour depth / pixel
format rather than accepting the VNC server's default settings. This can
have a noticable impact over bandwidth limited links

In my experience with the Apple server I have noted extremely poor performance when it is doing interactions with zlib. Try disabling the zlib and zlibhex encodings and the performance should be closer to expectations (I don't think it supports zrle and tight, so no need to disable those...)

Cheers,
Peter