Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] gtk-vnc trouble

On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 09:35:13AM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >> Yeah, or made configurable. With the series of patches I sent for adding
> >> password auth, and TLS encrption the -vnc arg takes a list of comma
> >> separated options, eg
> >>
> >>     -vnc localhost:1,passwd,x509
> >
> > The problem isn't the extension on the server.  I think we just have to
> > adjust what we're doing on the client.  The extension just provides more
> > information to the client.  It's better to just do the right thing on
> > the client than to hack the server such that it doesn't give the client
> > the extra information to prevent it from doing the wrong thing.
>
> Doing that on the client side works too and has the obvious advantage
> that you can present it in the GUI, so it isn't sorta "black magic" to
> the user.  Nevertheless it would be useful to know for the client
> whenever relative or absolute coordinates are more useful (i.e. usb
> tablet vs. ps2 mouse), so it could present "relative/absolute/automatic"
> choice to the user.

In a libvirt aware app like virt-manager/virt-viewer the VNC client can of
course query the XML description for the guest & determine what pointer
devices are available to the guest. Ultimately you've still got the issue
of whather the guest OS is configured to use a device, so best we can do
is make a reasonable guess / offer choice to the user.

Dan.