Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] gtk-vnc trouble

On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 06:25:11PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >> Oooh - are you running against a QEMU vnc server perhaps ?  QEMU supports
> >> a 'relative mouse' RFB protocol extension where the motion coords on the
> >> wire are treated as relative instead of absolute. It looks like we always
> >> enable support for that extension if the server accepts it. And if this
> >> is activated, then the pointer will be grabbed no matter what.
> >
> > Yes, I think that should be the behavior too otherwise the extension
> > isn't terribly useful :-)  It probably makes sense to be able to disable
> > the extension though.
>
> Also qemu should probably *not* provide that extention when started with
> "-usb -usbdevice tablet", right?

Yeah, or made configurable. With the series of patches I sent for adding
password auth, and TLS encrption the -vnc arg takes a list of comma
separated options, eg

    -vnc localhost:1,passwd,x509

We could easily add another option to enable relative mode or not. So if
the app  launching qemu was providing some form of absolute pointer, or
was intending to add one via the monitor, then it could skip the relative
pointer.

The other possibilty would be some way to hook into the virtual drivers,
so that the VNC server could detect / query which pointer was activated
by the guest OS. This would help in the case of the guest OS activating
the VMWare Mouse, vs the plain PS2 mouse - both are always available in
recent QEMU.  Whether we can detect this is an open question I can't
answer though....

> Oh, and being able to query absolute vs. relative coordinates mode would
> be nice too (for feedback in the gui).

Yep, easy enough to add.

Dan