Re: [gtk-vnc-devel] gtk-vnc trouble

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 18:25 +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> >> Oooh - are you running against a QEMU vnc server perhaps ?  QEMU supports
> >> a 'relative mouse' RFB protocol extension where the motion coords on the
> >> wire are treated as relative instead of absolute. It looks like we always
> >> enable support for that extension if the server accepts it. And if this
> >> is activated, then the pointer will be grabbed no matter what.
> >
> > Yes, I think that should be the behavior too otherwise the extension
> > isn't terribly useful :-)  It probably makes sense to be able to disable
> > the extension though.
>
> Also qemu should probably *not* provide that extention when started with
> "-usb -usbdevice tablet", right?

No, it should.  The usb tablet isn't going to be used by all guests so
the guest may still be relying on relative coordinates until the tablet
starts getting used (for instance, when X starts).  What should happen
is that once absolute mode is initialized, mouse clicks shouldn't result
in grab being activated.  ctrl-alt still probably should since it's
sometimes useful to have keyboard grab.  I've toyed around with the idea
of automatically grabbing the keyboard on mouse-enter but then alt-tab
doesn't work anymore.

More insight into what people expect the behavior ought to be would be
quite useful.

> Oh, and being able to query absolute vs. relative coordinates mode would
> be nice too (for feedback in the gui).

Yeah, it's tough though because how do you treat the mode when the
extension isn't in use?  In my original client, the assumption was that
you were in absolute mode but historically virt-manager assumed relative
in their client which is why I think it's now possible to enable mouse
grab even when the extension isn't present.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori