Re: Patch for GtkEntry 2.16 (incomplete)

On Jan 10, 2009, at 10:57 AM, Emmanuel Rodriguez wrote:

I didn't managed to add all the new methods of GtkEntry. It was harder
than what I though as the widget has been greatly modified! The
introduction of a new Gtype (GIcon) and a new Enum got me struggling
for a while...

I managed to solve the Enum problem by creating a new typemap file for
2.16. But I can't fix the GIcon issue. The icon modifications use a
GIcon from Gio, as far as I know we don't even have Gio in the perl
bindings. The bindings are incomplete because I couldn't add:
 gtk_entry_get_gicon
 gtk_entry_set_icon_from_gicon

Can someone help me on this one?

Looks like we'll have to have a go at GIcon over in Glib before these can be added. I'll have a look at that this evening, time permitting.

Our policy has previously been "don't bind stuff for which there is already equivalent or more popular support in perl", but i think GIO may bend that rule somewhat. It's more of an abstract IO framework than a replacement for file handles. Any opinions?

Otherwise the new methods have been added with unit tests.

By the way, go ahead and add the prototypes for all the new symbols, and just leave them commented out with an explanation for why they're not bound. This helps us know what we're missing and why.

PS: In GTK 2.16, an entry can now act as a progress bar and can accept
icons at the begging and/or at the end (similar to the search text
field in firefox).

I hope for gtk+ 3.x they make GtkEntry fry bacon and eggs and wash your laundry. :-)

<GtkEntry.patch>

For new functions that take pointer arguments (not counting the instance pointer), be sure to check with the upstream sources as to whether NULL is valid,.

Looks pretty good so far.

--
It's all very complicated and would take a scientist to explain it.
  -- MST3K