Re: gtk+ 1.2.10, Gtk-Perl 0.7008 -- how the heck do I set initial window position?

 From: muppet <scott asofyet org>
 Date: 29 Jan 2003 19:49:04 -0500

 jonathan --- why are you pursing programmatic window placement?

Because the program accepts the window geometry as a command-line
option, and I need to be able to do something with it when the user
specifies it.

 i think the gnome libraries are supposed to handle things like
 restoring previous window positions.

I'm not using Gnome.  I'm using a straight Gtk-Perl application.  One
might think that perhaps "use Gtk '-init';" would parse -geometry on
the command line if it's there, since the documentation says that it
parses "certain" options but never says which ones, but it doesn't
appear to do that.

 in general, the guideline is "let the user control where the window
 goes," which i believe is why there are no direct window position
 control functions in gtk.

Certainly the user should be able to control where the window goes,
but the application should have the ability to decide how the user can
tell it where the window goes, and to communicate the user's desires
to the window manager.

I've been programming X applications for more than a decade.  I know a
thing or two about how to write a well-behaved X application.

  jik