Re: gtk+ 1.2.10, Gtk-Perl 0.7008 -- how the heck do I set initial window position?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 07:49:04PM -0500, muppet wrote:
On Wed, 2003-01-29 at 15:19, Andrew Pimlott wrote:
I'm just a lurker, but may I plead:  Please test such trickery
against a window manager configuration that uses manual window
placement.  Otherwise, those of us who use such configurations may
curse you.

you make a good point.

jonathan --- why are you pursing programmatic window placement?  i think
the gnome libraries are supposed to handle things like restoring
previous window positions.  in general, the guideline is "let the user
control where the window goes," which i believe is why there are no
direct window position control functions in gtk.

To be clear:  I'm not demanding that you not try to control some
aspect of window placement.  Maybe you have some good reason for
it--I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

I just want to make sure whatever you do doesn't have unexpeced side
effects for those using manual placement.  Eg, there are some
programs (*cough* xmms *cough*) that offer to let you place them,
then as soon as you do, move somewhere else.  (At least, I observe
this in fvwm.)  Other programs resize themselves right after you
place them, so the window you put in the corner is now partly off
the screen.  Etc, etc.

(It's sad that so many programs have bad behavior; but I'm not an
Xpert, so I don't know whom to blame!)

Andrew