Re: [gtk-osx-users] Using localization with "Application" menu with the gtk mac integration library.

On Oct 5, 2014, at 8:20 PM, Joshua Pettus <jshpettus gmail com> wrote:

For the record, the reason why “About Xboard” wasn’t translated is because HGM took that string and made it
to output  “About” which broke translations.

This is because the gtk integration library questionably adds the application name after “About”  I’m not
sure why it’s necessary.  If there is an About menu item there, it was moved from somewhere else, and it
almost always already had the application name affixed to it. I understand why it was done for the other
items which are put there by the library.

I’m sure there is another solution for us to remove the second xboard in the about menu item,  but I don’t
understand why we have too.

The Gtk stock item GTK_STOCK_ABOUT and its replacement, the help_about named icon, yield _About,  no app
name. That string is translated in the gtk translations.

It sounds like your problem is that HGM, whatever that is, messed up: If it used _About, all would be well.

gtk-osx-integration expects the Gtk stock item and adds the app name to comply with Apple's HIG.