From: John Ralls <jralls ceridwen us>
To: Chris Share <cpsmusic yahoo com>
Cc: GTK+-2 OSX Users <gtk-osx-users lists sourceforge net>
Sent: Monday, 4 August 2014 12:55 AM
Subject: Re: [gtk-osx-users] [Gtk-osx-users] Getting Started with WebKitGTK+

On Aug 3, 2014, at 3:57 AM, Chris Share <cpsmusic yahoo com> wrote:

I've reinstalled gtk (and gtkmm) however I'm running into a problem when trying to install WebKit.

I'm getting the following error:

checking for PANGO... no
configure: error: Package requirements (pango >= 1.12
                    pangoft2) were not met:

No package 'pangoft2' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PANGO_CFLAGS
and PANGO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
*** Error during phase configure of WebKit: ########## Error running ./configure --prefix
/Users/chris/gtk/inst --libdir '/Users/chris/gtk/inst/lib' --with-target=quartz --disable-video
--with-font-backend=pango --with-gtk=2.0   *** [18/18]

Doesn't pango get installed as part of gtk?

When I check for pango I get the following:

New-MacBook:~ chris$ pkg-config --list-all | grep pango
pango                               Pango - Internationalized text handling
pangocairo                          Pango Cairo - Cairo rendering support for Pango
pangomm-1.4                         pangomm - C++ binding for Pango
New-MacBook:~ chris$ pkg-config --modversion pango
1.36.0

Pango does, but pangoft2 doesn't unless you specifically ask for it with meta-gtk-osx-freetype. That's a
dependency of the WebKit module but it won't build correctly if you've already built the Gtk stack.

Don't second-guess jhbuild by building things piecemeal. Put all of the modules you need on a single command
line and prefer the meta-modules when they're available; for example, if you want a Gtk2 stack with webkit
you can start (almost) from scratch with
  jhbuild build meat-gtk-osx-bootstrap meta-gtk-osx-webkit
and that will build WebKit with all of the required dependencies. For a Gtk3 stack you'd use
meta-gtk-osx-webkit-gtk3 for the second module.

The exception to that rule is that you must run `jhbuild bootstrap` before jhbuild build.