Re: Stock items (button images / menu images etc)

On 13/12/2013 16:19, fanc999 yahoo com tw wrote:

There are a set of icons that are built into a source header file gtkbuiltincache.h that's actually generated during the autotools build process (as you might see, it's a pretty big file) where the gtk-update-icon-cache processes the icon image files to produce the header

Many thanks Fan - as usual, your suggestion led me straight to the heart of the problem!

Let me ask a question.... when you build for Windows, do you actually build within Windows or do you cross-compile from Linux? The reason I'm asking is that when I build here (actually on Windows) 'gtk-update-icon-cache.exe' simply doesn't do what I expect it to do. A DOS window pops up and I see the large array getting generated - but all the output goes to the window. I can't seem to find any way of re-directing it to a target file. I'd tend to use a command like this:-

gtk-update-icon-cache --force --ignore-theme-index --source builtin_icons stock-icons > temp.file

My intention would be to rename "temp.file" later to "gtkbuiltincache.h". However, by the end of the process (which usually takes a couple of minutes) "temp.file" is invariably empty. I simply cannot find any way (on Windows) of producing a correctly populated file.

As a consequence, I've had to skip that stage of the build and stick with the version of gtkbuiltincache.h that's already in git. But that version seems to have been built with the older icon names, such as "gtk-dialog-info" (I examined it in a hex viewer, just to be certain). AFAICT it doesn't contain any of the revised names, such as "dialog-information". That's why my icons fail when I try to use the more recent names!

Is anybody else managing to run gtk-update-icon-cache.exe successfully on Windows? I remember I spent days experimenting with it on Win7, Win8 and WinXP but I couldn't make it produce a valid target file. Is my command wrong maybe?

John