Re: file chooser not to display icons

Hi,

> I believe it loads the list of file names, then sniffs in the
> background. Or it has done that anyway, I think the background
> sniffing was disabled for a while, but is back now. Erm, I think. I
> half-remember someone saying that it had some rules to stop sniffing
> for network shares. but I can't find a link :-(

Ok, that makes sense.  Do you, or anyone out there, know how one can
disable the sniffing and icon display in the file chooser?  Or even if
it is possible?

> How about trying a live CD of the current Ubuntu or similar and
> benchmarking the gedit there? That's probably the safest way to check
> the speed of the current version.

Yes that would do it.  Unfortunately it won't be easy as it isn't my
machine, isn't even in my country!  The problem originates from a
colleague running gedit (and other programmes using gtk) remotely on a
linux machine that he doesn't really have control over (he could ask
his local sysadmins - but they aren't particularly helpful, hence
coming to me in the first place).

Thanks!

Matt