Re: file chooser not to display icons

On 31 March 2010 21:42,  <m c wilkins massey ac nz> wrote:
>> Yes, it sniffs each file to determine the file type.
>
> Damn, I was hoping newer versions weren't doing this.  Do you know if
> the file chooser is actually sniffing every single file initially, or
> just the ones that are visible in the chooser?

I believe it loads the list of file names, then sniffs in the
background. Or it has done that anyway, I think the background
sniffing was disabled for a while, but is back now. Erm, I think. I
half-remember someone saying that it had some rules to stop sniffing
for network shares. but I can't find a link :-(

How about trying a live CD of the current Ubuntu or similar and
benchmarking the gedit there? That's probably the safest way to check
the speed of the current version.

John