> I just tried this program:
>
> -----
> #!/usr/bin/python
>
> for i in range (1, 20000):
>         file = open ('file%d' % i, 'w')
>         file.write ('hello world')
>         file.close ()
> ------
>
> ie. create 20,000 files with some small amount of text in. If I start
> gedit and click File / Open, it takes about 2 seconds for the file
> browser to appear and about 20 seconds before all the icons have been
> drawn. This is gedit 2.28.0 (the one in current Ubuntu) on a
> 5-year-old desktop PC.

Thank you.  I am not sure I will be able to update the system,
although I might if I knew it would help.  Your experiment above might
indicate it would help, but if you could give me a little bit more
info please?

You say all the icons have been drawn: do you know if your gedit is
just displaying two sorts of icons, one for directory, and one for a
file?  If so, then it doesn't need to open the file to find out what
to display.  (I have seen this behaviour on gedit version 2.28.3, and
this is exactly what I want!).  However on gedit 2.12.1 (original
version I am talking about) different file icons are being displayed
depending on the contents of the file.  Could you throw a few other
file types into your directory (say some pictures, a .tex or
something) to see?  If you see different icons, then it would be good
to find out how gedit is determining what to display.  An 'strace
gedit' will tell us.

Thanks!

Matt