Re: file chooser not to display icons

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 09:27:24PM +0100, jcupitt gmail com wrote:
> On 31 March 2010 20:43,  <m c wilkins massey ac nz> wrote:
> > You say all the icons have been drawn: do you know if your gedit is
> > just displaying two sorts of icons, one for directory, and one for a
> > file?
>
> Yes, it sniffs each file to determine the file type.

Damn, I was hoping newer versions weren't doing this.  Do you know if
the file chooser is actually sniffing every single file initially, or
just the ones that are visible in the chooser?  (An strace will show
you).  If it is the former, then the newer gtk won't help me: opening
15000 files is simply too slow, your experiment was quicker for other
reasons (perhaps because your directory wasn't over nfs over a san
over some slow crappy fileserver).  If it is the latter, then that is
useful to know.

Thanks!

Matt