Re: GtkTextView with transparent background

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Bert Timmerman
<bert timmerman xs4all nl> wrote:
> FWIW, maybe the white background is theme/window manager related.
>
> Some themes/window managers do not handle opacity very well.

I've been thinking about this too. Would it perhaps be possible to
write a GTK theme engine that gets loaded as the program starts, and
is only responsible for rendering this single widget? So the rest of
the gui will have the same theme as the users desktop. I browsed the
blog[1] of the Murrine developer a long time ago, and there he posts
screenshots of transparent widgets. In that case they are transparent
through the application down to the desktop, while I only need the
GtkTextView's background to be transparent through to the underlying
widget, but the use case seems similar enough. This however seems like
a really sketchy path to walk and I'd prefer if there was a less crazy
solution if the above mentioned idea is even possible.

[1] http://www.cimitan.com/blog/2007/12/12/gtk-rgba-transparent-widgets-with-the-murrine-engine/

--
Daniel Svensson