GtkTextView with transparent background

Hi,
I've been messing around with different approaches in hope of making
the background of a GtkTextView transparent with no solution in sight.
The closest I've come is making the whole widget transparent[1], but
as I want to keep the text non-transparent this is not an option.

The reason I want a GtkTextView transparent is that I want to create a
window with a background image, and being able to put a text area of
variable size somewhere on it (the user will be able to move the text
area), and it's the window background that should be seen through the
GtkTextView. A picture says more than a thousand words, so have a look
at the video of OmmWriter[2].

Any hints on how to accomplish this with GTK+friends based libraries
would be greatly appreciated.

[1] http://library.gnome.org/devel/gdk/unstable/gdk-Windows.html#composited-window-example
[2] http://www.ommwriter.com/

--