Re: Hiding modal dialogs

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, David Nečas wrote:
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 07:55:36PM +0000, John J Lee wrote:
[...]
1) The new modal dialog is a subdialog of the orignal one with the
corresponding nesting of the main loops.  You want to hide a modal
dialog when it pops up a `child'?  Maybe this was not considered to be
sensible scenario by Gtk+ devs (or simply was not considered).  To me it
sounds a bit fishy.
[...]

Yes, the specific case I had in mind involved this sequence of events:

 * run method of modal dialog #1 called
 * hide dialog #1
 * run method of modal dialog #2 called

Answering my own question: Looking at the code, gtk_widget_set_visible just calls gtk_widget_hide. That unmaps the dialog, which causes GtkDialog's unmap callback to run, which ends the recursive event loop. Connecting a unmap signal handler that stops the unmap signal seems to work: I'm able to hide and re-show my modal dialog.

John