Re: Hiding modal dialogs

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:46:48AM +0000, John J Lee wrote:
> Yes.  So I was asking about hiding the dialog without closing it.  It's
> not obvious to me why setting the dialog's "visible" property causes its
> main loop to quit.

What are you trying to achieve?

gtk_dialog_run() runs the dialog as modal, i.e. all other controls in
the application become non-responsive.

With a hidden modal dialog you can neither use the rest of the UI nor
bring the dialog back (because you must do *something* to bring it back
but the UI is non-responsive).

So, hiding modal dialogs makes no sense at all (hence Gtk+ terminates
the nested loop when the dialog is unmapped).

Maybe you have invented some novel interaction mode where this does not
apply.  Maybe you approach the problem from the wrong side.  How can we
tell?

Yeti