Re: Hiding modal dialogs

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, David Nečas wrote:

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:46:48AM +0000, John J Lee wrote:
Yes.  So I was asking about hiding the dialog without closing it.  It's
not obvious to me why setting the dialog's "visible" property causes its
main loop to quit.

What are you trying to achieve?

To quote from my original message:

I no longer intend to try to do this in real code -- I'm just curious re whether its possible, and why.

gtk_dialog_run() runs the dialog as modal, i.e. all other controls in
the application become non-responsive.

Yes.

With a hidden modal dialog you can neither use the rest of the UI nor
bring the dialog back (because you must do *something* to bring it back
but the UI is non-responsive).
[...]

I don't think that's true: the UI is responsive after popping up another modal dialog.

John