Re: GTK+ and Gimp

> i'm just guessing, but it may be related to X11's rather limited concept
> of window relationships,

Limited, indeed, but even more limited than you perhaps guess;) The X11 protocol doesn't have any concept of relationship between top-level windows. A core principle of X11 is to provide mechanism, not policy. The concept of window relationships and "classes" of windows or "window type hints", like "utility window", is specified more or less standardized conventions ("Inter-Client Communications Conventions Manual" and "Extendid Windows Manager Hints" on top of the base windowing system.