Re: GTK+ and Gimp

On Sat, 2009-01-24 at 18:31 +0000, Michael Grosberg wrote:
> Michael Torrie <torriem <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Actually it doesn't exist on all OS's.  Gimp running with "native" GTK
> > on OS X does not suffer from this problem thanks to OS X being an
> > application-centric desktop rather than a window-centric desktop that
> > Windows and most Linux desktops tend to be.
> >
> > Not sure what the solution should be.
>
> Well, basically it's just a bug - let's say you have three images open and
> you enabled transient utility windows. currently when you minimize an image
> to the taskbar, the utility windows all minimize with - although there
> are still two images that are not minimized and are visible on the desktop.
> Also, the utility windows never return, even after you un-minimize the
> first image.

i'm just guessing, but it may be related to X11's rather limited concept
of window relationships, which has propagated into GTK. if the utility
windows are marked as transients for the image window, then the
behaviour you are describing is mostly expected. X11 & GTK do not allow
a window to be a transient for several "parent" windows.

as michael torrie noted, this is not necessary on OS X, where the idea
of an application and various different kinds of windows that it may be
using are a bit more "evolved" than the X11 situation. i am not sure
that you get the right behaviour for free, but i know that with ardour
on OS X using the native GTK port, we can (for example) make plugin
editor windows vanish when ardour loses keyboard focus and bring them
all back later, and this is a more "natural" thing to do on that
platform than it is on linux.

--p