Re: (severe) performance issues

In terms of adding functionality to the widget itself to handle this very contentious situation, whynot something like:

1) add an attribute to the widget named, say, GTK_LABEL_NO_SIZE_REDUCTION (or whatever) 2) with this attribute set, the label will only resize if the new label results in a size larger than the currently known maximum, i.e., the maximum size of all previously set labels for any given invocation of the program.

It would seem to me this would be fairly straightforward to implement, only need to save the current max size and test against it when the label is re-set.

Not sure, but I would bet this would solve the original poster's problem (while the required change to the widget would, as well, not be so onerous?).

richard