Re: (severe) performance issues

On 3/29/07, Robert Pearce <rob bdt-home demon co uk> wrote:
On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:58:51 -0700 (PDT)
"David J. Andruczyk" <djandruczyk yahoo com> wrote:

> It does when you're monitoring a realtime datalogging system, and
> don't want to have gaps  or slow response in the updates. (there
> are also graphical monitors as well,  but the text is there for a
> precise reading)

No, it doesn't. No, it absolutely doesn't. Who the £%$% do you think is watching this? Because you seem to have forgotten (along with your manners) the FIRST RULE OF GUI DESIGN :

  If it's not USEFUL to the USER it's WRONG.

I use high speed data loggers. I would not want your "feature".

I've been following this thread for a bit and thought I might make a
couple points that I haven't really seen yet.

First, there's been talk of the efficiency of GtkLabel vs. GtkEntry,
but not of the conceptual difference as far as I've read.

To me, a GtkLabel is a 'label' (get it?). A label shouldn't change. It
tells the user what a given piece of information is.

A GtkEntry contains a value. A value is expected to change.

As to making an entry look like a label, I don't really understand why
thats necessary, but thats a design decision and one I don't quite
understand at that.

My other point of contention is the discussion on how fast to update
these widgets.  Some of the posters have immediately said thats too
fast.  If you find yourself among this group, ask yourself one
question, "Would I want to fly in a plane where the instruments were
updated any slower?"  I sure as hell wouldn't.

Granted thats reductio ad absurum, but I think it gets the point across.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Paul Davis (don't get confused, there are two of us).