Re: (severe) performance issues

On 3/30/07, Paul Davis <pjdavis engineering uiowa edu> wrote:
So I've spent about 15 minutes going through software on this computer
looking through different windows trying to find an example of a label
that changes to convey some interesting piece of information. I can't
find any.

I don't know if this is what you mean, but I have an example in my
image processing application.

Image windows have an optional status bar which shows width, height,
etc. and also current mouse position in x/y image coordinates, and the
value of the pixel under the mouse.

 http://cima.ng-london.org.uk/~john/statusbar.png

The labels showing x/y/value have to be fixed in size so they don't
jiggle left-right as you move the mouse around. I do this by calling
gtk_widget_set_size_request() on them after measuring the size of the
largest value I can show in the right font.

It seems that calling gtk_widget_set_size_request() on a label locks
the size, but doesn't stop the label from triggering a resize when the
label's content next changes.

Maybe this is somthing that could be changed without breaking anything?

John