Re: (severe) performance issues

On Thu, 2007-03-29 at 22:49 +0100, Robert Pearce wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:58:51 -0700 (PDT)
> "David J. Andruczyk" <djandruczyk yahoo com> wrote:
>

> > It does when you're monitoring a realtime datalogging system, and
> > don't want to have gaps  or slow response in the updates. (there
> > are also graphical monitors as well,  but the text is there for a
> > precise reading)
> >
> No, it doesn't. No, it absolutely doesn't. Who the �%$% do you think is watching this? Because you seem to have forgotten (along with your manners) the FIRST RULE OF GUI DESIGN :
>
>   If it's not USEFUL to the USER it's WRONG.
>
> I use high speed data loggers. I would not want your "feature".

sometimes, the 30Hz "signal" transmitted to the user by the simple fact
that the text is rapidly changing is actually very useful. 30fps is
roughly the level needed to avoid visual perception of discontinuity -
one could argue that 10Hz or 40Hz might be better for a visual "image"
that isn't ever going to be continuous anyway. either way, its not clear
to me that changing text so fast that it cannot be read is WRONG. there
are certainly many cases where its counter productive.