Re: Save Dialog

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 13:34 -0400, Docsonic wrote:
> I use Inkscape and posted a request on their list, they referred me to
> your list as the save dialog they use is GTK. So, I wanted to know if it
> was possible to change the save dialog so that, when you create a new
> subfolder, you are automaically entered into that folder. i.e. If I
> create a subfolder and name it 'New', once I enter to accept the new
> name the directory structure places me into the 'New' folder to name and
> save the document.

Interesting proposition.  I wonder if this would lead to user confusion.
Except for the crumb bar, there is little indication that the create
folder operation was successful if a user is automatically moved to the
new folder.  My grandmother would likely end up creating dozens of
nested folders without realizing it.  Another thing is that given the
way GTK's save dialog box currently implements the "new folder"
mechanism, the folder goes into the file list immediately but sticks it
in edit mode so the user can give it a name.  This behavior is not
possible if the save dialog box works as you suggest.

Just some observations.

Michael