Re: GTK+ windows installer confusion

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 14:14 -0400, John D. Ramsdell wrote:

> A search of this mailing list shows there is another installer, this
> one is at http://gladewin32.sf.net.  The nice thing about this release
> is it appears the development installer is kept in sync with the end
> user installer.  I bet I can get my application working, but how do I
> ensure that end users get the correct installer?  Having two to pick
> from in sure to cause confusion.  Is there some way for the gladewin32
> and gimp people to find common ground?

John:

I'm in a very similar situation, K-3D (http://www.k-3d.org) is a 3D
modeling and animation app that depends on GTK/gtkmm.  We've been
distributing binaries for ~ 18 months that depend on the gladewin
installer, but we get a *lot* of support requests that turn out to be
compatibility issues with other GTK binaries.  My impression from this
list is that the official recommendation is for applications to each
include their own copy of the GTK binaries and not rely on a shared GTK
installation.

Anyone have other thoughts?

Regards,
Tim Shead